Saturday, April 05, 2008

5 Reasons Why You Don't Want an iPhone

I've been a little frustrated with my iPhone lately, so much that I wish I did more research before buying it and I'm actually considering going back to my old trust Sony Ericsson.

Anyway here's 5 reasons why you don't want one.

1) You can't search for a name in your phone book to call.

That's right.

You can't. You really really can't.

To call someone, you have to open up a list of ALL your contacts, then scroll through them one by one.

You can of course jump to names starting under a certain alphabet, but the list of alphabets on the side of the screen are so small and so close together than when you try to press T you might end up pressing S instead.

There is a 3rd party application you can download for your iPhone to help you to search for your contact but every time you use it a pop-up will appear asking you to donate. WTF?!?! I HAVE TO SPEND MONEY JUST TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO SEARCH FOR MY CONTACTS IN MY PHONE?!?!

2) It takes 9 seconds just to want to read or write an SMS.

That's right. To read or write an SMS you open up an SMS application.

That application literally takes 9 seconds to load up before you can do anything. LITERALLY.

3) You can't send a contact

Say Nicholas asks me to send a contact to him from my phone book. Bad enough that I have to manually search through the whole phone book, there's no option for me to send the contact. So what I eventually have to do is memorize that phone number, and then type it out in an SMS to him.

To add to the work it takes to send a contact, remember it takes 9 seconds for my SMS page to load up?

That's 9 seconds of me saying a number to myself over and over again so that I won't forget.

4) You can't MASS DELETE YOUR SMS.

That's right... to clear your mailbox, you have to manually delete each SMS one by one. ISN'T THAT JOLLY!!!!

5) Getting SCREWED by EDGE

I just found this out yesterday.

You see the iPhone allows you to hook up to Wi-Fi to check your mail. But when the Wi-Fi is disconnected for any reason, it goes to use EDGE to download all your mail automatically.

Now I get a ton load of mail in my Nuffnang work mail all the time.

So I just checked and realized that since I got an iPhone, I downloaded what was 150MB of MAIL... and I DIDN'T HAVE A DATA PLAN BECAUSE I DIDN'T THINK I'LL BE USING EDGE AT ALL.

The only mail downloading I wanted to do was on Wi-Fi! Heck I'm not using a Blackberry here!

I looked online to find if there was a way to turn off EDGE on my iPhone and realized that there were many other people who had fallen victim to the same trap as I had. All being slapped with huge data charges.

So I called my friend up at Maxis and asked him how much this 150MB is gonna cost me and he said
"Oh only 1 sen per 1kb".

Now do the math, 1 sen for every 1 KB is RM10 for every 1 MB.

150 MB = RM1,500.

I JUST SPENT RM1,500 ON DOWNLOADING E-MAILS!!!

FARRKK!!!! I AM SO BROKE NOWW.... I think I need a second job.

Anyone hiring?

I will work hard hard for you wan!

44 comments:

Janice Chan said...

get unlimited data package for Rm99....

Unknown said...

*OUCH* That's a bummer...RM1.5K...you could have bought something better..*pat pat*.

Time to tighten the belt for a month. lol

Boss Stewie said...

janice: yeah i know about that... but i didn't think i would need it.. i mean hey.. any time i needed to donwload my email while on the go, just stop by at a starbucks or something and download... didn't think my edge would be doing it behind my back

alex: *SNIFF* i think tighten belt for more than a month :(

JacJac said...

OUCHHH...OUCH

and they say iphone is keng n stuff...

*pat head*

J-son said...

I do remember you say u were broke when u bought it and now u are broke again when u use it. then what next? Hahahaha...LOL

Kaya bread again ?

JB said...

chill boss.... next time bak kut teh on me!~

juz sell off ur iphone, it's nice to see but useless to use.

FeR said...

yours has the Wi-Fi already? because apparently the first batches has got EDGE only...Wi-Fi ones coming/came out later?

one of my client's "complaining" about not waiting for the Wi-Fi one...

R said...

ouch, boss. really ouch!

Miss Nobody said...

OMG!!! rm1.5k! why did iphone bcum famous in d 1st place anyway?

XiangMei said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
XiangMei said...

Lolx, last time u said that mudah.com.my is good,so now u can sell off your iphone at there and buy back your old phone lor since the iphone is so ma huan...

joshuaongys said...

1.5k.... omg... i very good wan, i use rm150 to buy the iphone from u k?? den i might help u save anthr 1.5k =)

nyways more and more 3rd party softwares are coming out already, so don't worry so much

babyfiona said...

1.5 K..better get a new phone with the amount. can delete mass email, can send contact, can search name and no need to donate any money hehe :D

eyeris said...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

See? Succumb to peer pressure samore lah! My iPod Touch + phone with built-in flashlight PWNS your iPhone! :D :D :D

plo said...

Me too feeling regret after buying the phones, having difficulty in typing sms, battery wont last whole day beside cant be change, all 3rd party application shows pop up also...

rockdandy said...

quickly call maxis now and tell them about your story, I think they will be kind enough to let u sign up the unlimited package?? even they tie u down for 12 months...99X12, less than 1,100....still ok hahaha...

Unknown said...

1.5k can get a new phone d.... haha.. what happen to 20 questions?

immi said...

gosh... that's a deep hole in ur pocket. i think kaya n bread oso will cost too much now. :P
eh where're the ans to ur 20 questions? hehe.

MrChrispy said...

the pain of peer pressure, it does hurts (the pocket)

Anonymous said...

hey timothy. check ur facebook using a computer cos i added u :) glad i didn't buy the iphone then lol.

Anonymous said...

for fun's sakes by monday, i'll have ur answer for u regarding what u told me hehehe.

Patricia said...

oh my gawd. thanks for telling us...................

hao said...

I always wanted to tell you this after watching the latest episode of MDG, and here come the chance...

Ask if ShaolinTiger is hiring any assistant for his photo shoot. I see you made a good job by holding the reflective thing when he's doing the portrait shoot XD

.kitty said...

boss.. bummer lo..
learnt your lesson d?
not all branded items are good..
take it as a lesson ler ^^

cheer up ;)

samantha said...

i shall not pestered my dad to get me the iPhone anymore! *sigh*

zє๓ค๔-ﻮคlz said...

wow iphone sux :X

ShuKuen7788 said...

wohoho..
Maxis be next AT&T in malaysia.
Giving free Iphone also untung lah like this..
alamak

Pam Song said...

Haha. Kena juga.

I had this problem once. I went to Bangkok with my family. Being the blog addict I am, I badly wanted to post. Since it costs RM15 to use the comp for an hour, I just decided to be kiamsiap and hog my dad's HTC TyTN II.

Bad move.

Although he was on the unlimited plan, it wasn't applicable out of Malaysia. In the end, it cost me RM850 just to write THIS
.

Sakit! Never again, man. I'll spend RM15 from now on.

luxen said...

shit. I think its best you give maxis a quick call and ask them if you could sign up for the unlimited package right away before the next bill comes and if you can convert your current usage into the package.

You can turn of the EDGE you know. Its under setting.

Hold on to your Iphone first, the next software upgrade (version 1.4)is coming soon. I hope it fixes the contact search problem. Otherwise, trade it in for a Ipod touch and use a regular handphone at the same time.

The shops are selling the cracked Iphones cheaper now as they know the legal ones with the new software upgrades are coming to Malaysian shores soon. For 8GB one, now only RM1850.

Vian Lee said...

hahaha.. after read this post, i gonna think twice for getting myself a iphone.. :p

Unknown said...

Ermm I'm sure you can get maxis to at least waive off 30-40% of the cost lor if you take the trouble to ask persistently =)

Unknown said...

They won't allow you to convert your current charges to an unlimited data plan , but what you can do is just explain the situation to them and see if they are willing to waive off something for you lo =)

yapthomas said...

just like what Janice Chan said..
Get unlimited data for RM 99.

Don't worry.. i'm the same bummer as you are.. :)
I surf-ed the internet with my phone as modem and I was given a slap of RM 300 fine for not knowing the Maxis Unlimited Data package of RM 99.

-___-

Cheng Chun said...

Bossie. Told you mah to get a HTC Touch. Something like iPhone but much user friendly. See with your RM1,500 on emails can already buy a HTC Touch already. :P

If you did read the reviews on the iPhone and HTC Touch, users prefer HTC. iPhone is just for the design. Looks cool but user friendly-ness no.

Well bossie all the best with yer phone. :)

Simon Seow said...

That's why I say, iPhone is overated. Nice to look, nice to touch but not nice to use. My Sony Ericson also can't search the whole word only can go to the Alphabet.

MaN|acZ said...

simon, depends on which model of SE you're using.

SE k800i can search the whole word leh.

Genova said...

go back to SE boss..haha

.germz. said...

hahahahahaha kesian kesian :P RM1,500 for downloading mails only la la la~

Zyraz Technology Group said...

tot U can use the WIFI to do that?
next time..don't use a pirated/cracked stuff... U noe it will hit you hard


azrin @ www.azrin.net

LJH said...

Heyz,
U might wanna check out this site... http://www.stuff.co.nz/westcoast/4444439a6430.html Its about this company who offers applications to help u find your contacts & all that...the only catch is you have to pay...its NZ$10 per app...which is arouns rm24...

LJH said...

But I think there are certain applications u can add for free..like the ones here
http://www.polarbearfarm.com/PBF_%22Search%22.html

AikThai said...

hey, thanks for sporting some errors in iphone.. I totally agree about can't searching the contact and can't massive delete sms.. -_-"

am also using iphone too.. 1 more thing I don't like about Iphone is that can't tell the log whether is dial or received. Have to touch the blue arrow..

Lionel said...

Is it possible for you to complain and not pay the 1.5k? You have the consumer right to NOT BE SCREWED you know.

Peter & Joyce said...

No kidding? Those are really 5 good reasons not to get in on the iAction for sure. Yours is the first post I read that does not exalt the phone in some kind of shrine or something...