Friday, July 04, 2008

Durian Party with Alcohol

Legend has it that one should not have durian and consume alcohol along with it.

Apparently the belief is that drinking alcohol with durian in your stomach will expand the durian in your stomach and eventually cause your stomach to explode.

Today, some of my friends put that to the test.

We had a DURIAN PARTY!!!
Any of you guys had a durian party before?

It's where we'll all buy lots and lots of durians and have durian for dinner at someone's place. I know I know... a little bit of a weird idea at first but once you get used to it... it's not that bad after all.
All you need is TRUCK LOADS OF DURIAN (well fine I exaggerated) and the tools of trade. A big CHOPPER

When I got to the party, a particular tray caught my attention.

It was a tray with wine glasses.
I thought to myself.. heck... maybe everyone really IS serious about drinking alcohol while eating durians.

And true enough, shortly after we started eating our durians, the beer was the first to come out.
Lots and lots of beer.

I didn't have any though... not worth having my stomach blow up because of that. Besides I've always been more of a Heineken guy.

So I just focused on durians. I must've had like 15 pieces before I sat back on a plastic chair with my bulging stomach sticking out.
Turns out that half of the people there were like
"Uhh... no booze for me... I'm not taking the risk of having my stomach explode".

Whereas the other half... just went....
"YAAAAAM SEEEEEEEEENGGG!!!!"

And soon the beer was done and red wine made its debut.

In just one hour we were done with countless number of durians and I was feeling so thirsty that I was drinking soo much water to quench my thirst.

That was about when one of my other friends came to me and said
"WOI!!! Don't drink so much water after you eat durian, it makes the durian expand and makes you feel even more bloated!!!"

I looked at him for a minute and asked
"But I'm thirsty.. then how?"

He grabbed me a can of Tiger and said
"DRINK BEER!!! BETTER FOR YOU!!!! LAI LAI LAI CHEERS!!!!"

Ish..

By the end of the night, we must've finished 10-15 durians... and was stil left with countless more!It's now been hours since the party now and so far I haven't heard anyone who was drinking there get into any trouble so I guess... maybe that legend really is just a myth. Either ways, I wouldn't take the risk.

Would you?

24 comments:

Genova said...

got such thing as making alcohol makes the durian expand ?... i try before. but nvr pao cha...

Jason Lioh said...

While you had your durian feast by buying your own durians, opening it with chopping knife and cleaning it up after that, I had durian buffet at RM35. Eat all you can eat, the high grade ones, of course, and I don't even have to clean up. :P

ally said...

haha actually i think you're not meant to consume durian with beer cause they're both extremely heaty for your body.

..or at least that's what my aunts tell me every durian season :P

§pinzer said...

i durian fan why am i not there :'(

RealGunners said...

mayb u can submit this to the Mythbusters and have them bust it..

KY said...

beer isn't heaty, it's liquor that you can't consume, according to those old folks.

angker said...

maybe you should try a myth buster test.. put one biji durian into a cup or sth.. then load it up with beer and see what happens.. maybe you can save some life and break the myth.. papa once told me someone died because of this.. not sure how true was that..

totorosan said...

I thought it's XO and Durian? I thought beer and wine are ok?

Dc said...

it's the heatiness, beer is cooling not heaty, it should be durians and hard liquor, my friend's father tried it and got a nosebleed that night itself

Super Gentleman said...

i dun mind taking in lots of booze, bt durian?? call me weird o stupid, bt i hate dat fruit, heck i dun even like fruits... hahahahaha....

Boss Stewie said...

genova: really? so u're living proof that it's ok to eat durian and drink

jason: yalar i know lar i know lar.. sniff...

ally: yeah.. durian is really heaty.. today my face all pimples


spinzer: cuz u not in penang mah

real: hahaha i don't think they'll want to eat durian

ky: ahh.. no i saw wikipedia.. they say alcohol.

angker: yeah one of my friends told me the same thing.

totorosan: i don't know wor.. lets put that to the test

dcyk: so ur dad's friend tried it and he's still alive?

super: DURIAN YUM.. good durian!

joshuaongys said...

chi sin wan.... lolx durian everywhere... den.. yam seng.. faint...

MochaSourcream said...

K k Let me find a bunch of friends... and see if anyone would test the myth out...

synical said...

The Mythbusters would faint before they could test that myth lah.

But anyhoo, I heard that it's true that you shouldn't mix the two - but I don't remember the exact details. :P

But good on you and your friends for surviving.

Boss Stewie said...

joshua: haha.. yess.. or more like explode

moch: hahaha ehhh... is it really worth risking your lives?

synical: hahahaha yes yes.. i wouldn't advise you still try it though

LilMeJo said...

I love durian~~~ i love wine~~
but..
i dont think i would try mixing these two up....
coz i love my life more..
lol

Reiko The Rainbow Girl said...

They say only will explode if you drink Guiness Stout leh... Other kinds of alcohol cannot one...

ahlost said...

Durian season now ah?

Me too.. I would not take the risk !!

Anonymous said...

Drinking alcohol and eating durian causing you stomach to explode makes absolutely no sense.
Unless someone actually has a good scientific reason to explain this, I see no reason to not take the "risk".
I personally wouldn't consider it a risk since this myth sounds like a load of rubbish.

Anonymous said...

If the myth said that it's unhealthy or something along those lines, it would be more reasonable.
But exploding? Seriously...

Dc said...

ehh actually tim, my father's friend is KO already, a few years down the road had a stroke, and then later on KO :(

and like some of them say, rather not risk it as there's so much more stuff to live for :)

adrian.e.how said...

looks like we have our very own asian flavour mythbusters here! interesting read. thanks for putting the myth to rest.
[howshouse.com]

Ric Ten said...

Tim, actually I'm not sure if eating durian with beer will cause your tummy to explode. But last time, my aunt was trying to commit suicide, so she took durian and brandy. She was immediately admitted to hospital after complaining a very bad stomach pain and finally the doctor had to flush out everything that she took. It is a fact that durian and hard liquor cannot be taken together. Maybe it will not explode your tummy but in actual will risk your life. So, please do not try to spread news that this is a myth. You will risk all your reader life and you will regret.

Unknown said...

My friend and I just ate a durian and beer with no ill effects.