Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Hiring People

I'm back in our Penang office right now.

Just took a 4 hour drive from KL back to Penang yesterday to see if the team here is keeping well but most importantly to do some interviews.

Nuffnang is hiring again and I'm going to be spending much of the next few days in this Board Room at the Penang office.

Ahhh... this board room brings so many memories. It was the very same board room that all the early meetings at Nuffnang were held to address all our issues back then (don't be carried away... our Nuffnang KL and Singapore office are hardly as nice as the Penang one).

These few days I'll be using the boardroom to conduct some interviews for some new positions at Nuffnang Malaysia.

Among the positions we're looking to hire are: an accountant, an ad operations guy and a PHP programmer.

If anyone asks me what is the hardest part of doing business, it's not so much raising funds to do it... that's really easy.. heck so many Venture Caps and companies have approached us wanting to invest millions in Nuffnang.

It's also not quite selling.. although that's pretty hard as well.

But to me.. it's finding the right people.In the past year at Nuffnang I've found myself always looking to hire more and more people to keep up with the fast growth of the company. Being young, I have made my fair share of bad hires but I've always learned from my mistakes and very fortunately managed to hire very good people later on.

The crew at Nuffnang is really very much life family to me and I take pride that we are a young and fun bunch. The oldest at Nuffnang is 28 years old, and the average age is 24, similar to many other tech companies like Google or even Jobstreet when they first started off.

I take pride in that... that we're a very young company run by young and very capable people. So much that it shocks our clients sometimes when they meet us in person to see that such young people were responsible for delivering such unquestionable results.

And because we're young, our work culture is pretty unique and open.

Everyone works independently without having to have any supervisor breathe down his neck but everyone understands that if he doesn't keep up with his work, he holds the entire team back from moving forward and we're all working collectively for the same thing.

I love our team at Nuffnang and I think we have the most capable team I could ever ask for and I think they love me too. Right guys?

Now I'm going to have to go into an interview, to add to that family.

19 comments:

Daryl Teo said...

Boss am glad that Nuffnang came about just when the local blogging scene is taking off! Nuffnang is unquestionably the unifying force for the local blogging scene. Pls keep the goodies coming & the excitement level up. Thanks!

Unknown said...

hmm how i wish i can be in that lucky team. Keep up the good works!

Boss Stewie said...

daryl: thank u very much dude :P we didn't do it alone.. our Nuffnangers played a part in bringing us there

jacky: thanks dude :P

Tim-Kimokeo Voon said...

if im there i would love to try...
but im not...

so, good luck and all the best boss in ur hiring...

JenKin Yat said...

made your fair share of bad hires and learned from mistakes..ROFL

yes very fortunate you've managed to hire great people too..keep it on!

Danny said...

Oi! I was hoping to find you in KL but Nich told me you were away in Singapore. -.-"

You owe me lunch man! LOL!

KY said...

Next time take the candidates pictures and let us vote ok? :P

RealGunners said...

i'm looking for a job, but i do no accounts and advertising stuff, so.. all the best to u la :D

陈一豪 said...

Eh dude, she had better be pretty man.

Wait, would the fler be based in Penang?

Yap Chee Hong said...

:) so sweet lah ( crap that sounded dam g*y)

Dont stop making Nuffnang Malaysia's best blogging community !

immi said...

hey... glad to see that your family is growing. keep it up! :)

ahlost said...

Any vacancy for us in Kuching?

*LOL* at KY 's suggestion..

Anonymous said...

WoW ...

It is great that there are always got ppl like you bring in the new office culture back into malaysia!

I really wish that I can have a chance to visit all the nuffnang office and spend whole day to check out how nuffnang running their daily works!

^^

vialentino said...

wow...very happy to c ur company growing! malaysia boleh!

bryanlyt said...

is there any chance to have my internship with nuffnang during my end of year holidays??? lolol.... i'm studying mass communication majoring in advertising in taylors college... (:

nyx said...

walau... I cannot apply lar, afterwards everyone in the office will end up calling me "auntie" wtf!

electronicfly said...

Looking for temp. kuli for your KL office boh?

July 12th until end August.

:D




Seriously..I'm looking for work..
I didnt get the internship spot. :(

Peter said...

oo.. hiring already ar =.=.. i would like to apply but.. its not the time yet haha

Simon Seow said...

Penang's rent cheaper, can get better office.