Tuesday, September 30, 2008

They Start Young These Days

A few days ago I got an e-mail from a fellow Nuffnanger

It reads:

Dear Mr Timothy,

I am aware your time is rather limited and I would understand if you could not find the time to reply.

My name is Yap Ki-yun, and I am currently a student studying in Asia Pacific Institute of Information Technology, located in Technology Park Malaysia, nearby Bukit Jalil.

I just turned 18 in June, and I am now in the 3rd semester of my Foundation program.

There is a module which is Research Method for Degree Study, and there is an assignment. The assignment is that us, the students need to know which company we wish to work for once we graduate.

I realize that there is a 'Career' page in the Nuffnang website, and it was truly helpful since it was launched but I hope to clarify some of my doubts through this email.

Being a blogger myself, and also a Nuffnanger for almost a year now, I have seen Nuffnang continuously improving tremendously since I first joined in last year. It is no doubt fast growing in Asia Pacific and the proof of this is the recent opening of the Phillipines office. In a few years, I expect online advertising to be more competitive as Internet is gaining more users by the day and the number of blogs are increasing.

I am impressed by how Nuffnang has grown so rapidly, and by how the "Nuffies" have managed to do such a great job and have so much fun at the same time.

Long story short, I wish to be a part of Nuffnang after I graduate.I am planning to do Business Computing for my degree majoring in Marketing.

Needless to say it is a long way to go, but I hope to be able to contribute in the future.

May I know what positions will be available for me?

And what skills would be ideal for a student like me to develop in order to work in a company such as Nuffnang?

or courses that is suitable to attend that offers something that we can equip ourselves with.

If you have read till here, I sincerely thank you for your time and your willingness to read.

Regards,
Ki-yun


Now I can't help but say I'm pretty impressed. I mean when I was 18 I really had no clue what I wanted to be and what I wanted to do. I just thought then that perhaps I was going to go into finance and work in a bank, after all that's what everyone else around me seems to be doing.

But here's someone at that age I once was and has such a clear idea of what he wanted to do.

I replied his e-mail:


Hi Ki Yun,

Thank you very much for your e-mail and most importantly thank you for your vote in confidence of the growth of Nuffnang. That vote does not come unappreciated, having gone through many hurdles in the growth of Nuffnang.

Remember that in the early days of Nuffnang there were many skeptics that had doubt we would come so far... and to be honest today when I look back at how far we've come in such a short time, even I am surprised.
We do however owe it all to a lot of luck and support we've had from the right people, including people like yourself. I admire you for knowing what you want at such a young age. When I was your age (and that wasn't too long ago), I had no idea what I was going to do with my life. Now let me answer your question.

To be honest, all sorts of people from all sorts of backgrounds work at Nuffnang. We have sales people, ad operations, admin, blogger relations, finance, programmers, designers and more.
I myself studied economics and whatever work experience I had was in finance and now I'm in advertising, isn't that quite a leap. I guess to me it's not so much what background you've had but how willing you are to learn and how passionate you are about Nuffnang and if there is something I appreciate and can't take for granted for is that all the Nuffies are just as passionate as I am about Nuffnang and the things we do, some even more.

Nevertheless, you are indeed making a big decision right now and I think you should think of what you really want to do rather than where you want to work because you're at an age where mindsets change very quickly.

When I was 18 I wasn't sure what I wanted to do but I thought that I wanted to work at an investment bank. Once I graduated however, I had this burning desire to be an entrepreneur. Perhaps by the time you graduate you might have found another true calling, and it may not be working at Nuffnang.

So Ki Yun, decide on what you really want to do and preferably try to pick up a course that would give you some kind of skill set like computer science, or accounting or something.

Today I have an economics degree out in my pocket but if you
compare me with someone with an accounting degree, there is nothing that I can do that the accounting degree holder can't.. but there sure is something that he/she will be able to do that I can't ie audit/accounting.

In the next few years when you do graduate, feel free to drop me a mail and I will be more than happy to interview you to see where you might fit in. Good luck in the next few important years of your life Ki Yun!
Do take care. PS: Would you mind if I share your nice e-mail on my blog with my readers?

-Timothy Tiah


Now I know it sounds a little bit like I was discouraging him in my reply... maybe just a little but I was just trying to be honest.

Do you guys agree or disagree with my reply?

I am however fascinated how increasingly a lot of young people at a really young age now know what they want to do with their lives.

21 comments:

julie said...

impressive email from a young fren..seems like nowadays competition is getting stronger amongst the youth....i have to admit when i was 18 didnt really think what to do next...hehe

Terrence Cheang said...

I am 20 and I know what I want to do next time too :P.

Anonymous said...

when i was 18, i knew exactly what i wanted to do. but then, mommy had other plans for me and made me do engineering... FUUUUUUCK LA!!!

Yi-Kun, you're young. i strongly recommend that you buaya as much as you can before you settle on a long term relationship.

kent chan. said...

i wont hesitate to say that i really do have a mind set that i wanna work for nuffnang in the future . seriously=)

Ang Zhihao said...

Is econ really that 'useless'? I was planning to study it after finishing my spm...

KY said...

hey his initials is KY, dude is off to a good start. :D

Chik Yoong said...

I am doing my law degree now..Who knows i might be Nuffang's legal adviser someday??..hahahaha

Unknown said...

Tim, perhaps it's a good move for you not to join an investment bank too! haha
anyhow, good stuff. the letter from Ki Yun shows that you guys are doing the right thing. keep it up!

- m i c h e l l e - said...

I've also made up my mind, if I can't get a job here in Melbourne and if the Australia govt do not want me as a PR here, I want to go back to work in Nuffnang!!!

Charlie said...

i would say that the reply you gave is good, reason being, he should not study what is required just so that he is fit for the job. I have friends who studied Engineering and end up doing Marketing with BAT. My uncle studied Engineering and he is doing Insurance. I studied International Marketing and now I'm doing Account Management.

In short, my advice would be study what your heart feels and flow with the rythm. As long as you are hard working and able to think out of the box, your future will be bright. Cheers

Boss Stewie said...

julie: yeah! *shake hands*

Chu king: Good for you dude!! That must feel good

a-the-rian: woi! where did buaya come into the equation?

kentzai: really dude? ahh i hope we don't disappoint

azh: well to me i didn't find it very useful ... but then again that's just me

ky: hahaha yah yah sure

chik: hahaha yes yes.. maybe some day :P


kah: yah ... i could possibly earn more right? hahaha

michelle: hahaha hopefully we can afford ur very very high pay!

charlie: thanks dude :P I agree with you.. great to know we're on the same page

Panache said...

i agree with what charlie wrote. and i have a few other lines to add on..

i dont mean to brag and pls dont get me wrong in any way... it is just how you see the glass half full tho..

there is always a driving factor to someone doing something in life. my dad was a handyman back home when i was young. and at a very young age during my primary, i was building and playing with simple electronic circuits...

when i was in my lower sec, my dad asked what was my interest and i answered him electronics. and he asked if i had a company of choice that i would like to be in one day... i answered him intel was my choice.

after my form 3, i left sxi to technical inst and pursued electronics there for 2 years and while i was doing my tertiary, i obtained a scholarship with intel.. the rest was history.

i graduated with a double e and served intel for 9 wonderful years before i moved out and on to a managerial role.

my point is, as i said, there is always a driving force, a motivating factor or reason behind his choice. ky could be choosing this path because nuffnang to him was like intel to me.

need not worry about whether he will regret his choice later on because that is his life. you cant plan it for him neither you can dictate it for him. whatever his choices are, are definitely based on a reason.

you have a point tho that you are being open to his application in the next few yrs to come when he graduates. that is enlightening and very corteous of you..

tho you might think it is long windered but i bet you get my drift.

ky, if u are reading this, well dont let anything hamper your dreams or pursuit in life. do the best and dont look back later on only to regret.

Panache said...

btw ky speaks, dont perasan that i wrote ur initials...just kidding... sai tor not coming out yet? haha....*juanito*

bryanlyt said...

hoho~ actually me too thinking of working with Nuffnang someday. i even tried applying for internship last 2 weeks but Robb said it is still too early and far away from November. haha!

Eri Peng said...

agree with your reply, after all, people would love work and talk with an honest boss! hahaha :D

Simon Seow said...

I agreed. It's way too early for him to know what he really wants in life. Maybe he can apply for internship in Nuffnang first before jumping into conclusion to work in Nuffnang full-time.

confessions of a medical student said...

Mr Tiah, give the kid a chance... he sees the potential in nuffnang which not many others see.. :)

the society often encourage young hearts to take up skills that were considered more 'professional' or 'able to do something that others can't' so that they would have the upper hand.. for example: take up accountancy because it is a good career.. however, later he might end up as an accountant, and forgot about his true dreams... bottom line: a child should be given the opportunity to explore his passion/dreams...

as for your poll, i quited soft drinks... too sweet.. but i'll settle for budweiser anytime ^^

kiyun said...

yay am I a celebrity now? lol.

anselm : thanks for the advice, your story was quite inspirational. Thanks :)

LeangFM said...

[quote]
When I was your age (and that wasn't too long ago),
[/quote]

lol, have to emphasize that "not too long ago"
stewie boss, u r not old 2 us,
dun worry
:D

ahlost said...

I never thought of what to become when I was 18 :D

MaN|acZ said...

boss having holiday?. 2 days no update alredi..?