I was driving around in KL the other day with some friends looking for a place to eat. I've been feeling thrifty lately, so I wanted to pass on the more proper restaurant food, and go for some hawker food instead.
Then I thought of a place that I haven't been to in a while, hidden somewhere behind Berjaya Times Square. Yes..... the famous PUDU SIU YOKE!!!
Lunch time almost every day, this coffee shop here is packed to the brim! I went for a late lunch so fortunately it wasn't too hard to find a place. I sat down and ordered the food.
First came the chicken... which was okay lar.. not great but not too bad. Then came... THE SIU YOKE!
Now let me tell you a thing or two about siu yoke. The best siu yoke must fulfill 3 conditions.
1) The skin must be crispy... not too hard or too soft.. just CRISPY.
2) The fat between the skin and the meat must not be too rubbery.
3) The meat must be smooth and tender.
Now let me show you a picture of the siu yoke we had. DOES IT LOOK GREAT OR WHAT?
Let me tell you about this siew yoke.
1) The skin is crispy... almost like double decker potato chips.
2) The fat MELTS in your mouth!
3) The meat is soooo smooth and tender you can almost call it Kobe Pork.
The bill kinda broke my balls because it added up to about RM25 per head for just a tiny bit of siu yoke and chicken.
But it was worth it, what else do you expect when you eat siu yoke from a man who once got an award from the King (check out the picture he framed up in his coffee shop). And to answer some of the questions in your minds...
NO I DO NOT think he got the award for having the best siu yoke in Malaysia.