Sunday, May 24, 2009

Lottery Ticket

A few mornings ago, I skipped out of the office for a while to buy some breakfast from a nearby coffee shop. Right after I walked out of the coffee shop I heard an old lady call me
"Leng Chai"

I don't know what it is but it works. When somebody calls me "Leng Chai", I just turn around and look to see who! Even if it's a guy! 

When I turned around I saw an old lady on a wheelchair sitting right outside the coffee shop asking me if I would like to buy some lottery tickets she was selling. 

The immediate impulse reaction when somebody tries to sell you something is you just say no thanks and walk away.

As I was walking back to the office though my mind starting thinking about that old lady. She was of old age and on a wheel chair yet she had the courage (whether by choice or not) to come out and sell lottery tickets to make some living. I thought about where her children were (if she had any) and then I thought about how would I feel if my parents had to live that kind of life in their old age. My heart sank for I have always promised that I will never allow my parents to live a lesser quality of life than they have given me while I was growing up.

Then I realized that one lottery ticket is probably only going to cost me a few bucks but would give her so much more not just in the small money she makes but in the confidence she might get.

So I turned around and walked all the way back to the coffee shop and bought a ticket from her. I just simply picked the ticket on top. Her bored discouraged frown had turned to a very big smile on her face the minute I expressed interest in buying a ticket from her. I wish I could've caught it on camera to show you guys but I didn't have my camera with me at the time.

I headed back to the office and started thinking that maybe it was a sign. Maybe I'm supposed to buy this ticket to help her and also maybe to give it to someone else to win something. Then I remembered that today is Robb's birthday so I went back to the office and gave it to Robb.

I said 
"I hope you win the Proton Persona on the ticket or the jackpot or something".

Robb started scratching the ticket straight away.

Unfortunately that ticket didn't win Robb anything (at least so far till we wait for another draw results to come out at the end of the month).

But it felt great anyway because it reminded me how sometimes with one small gesture and with a small amount of money, we can put a smile on someone's face.  

18 comments:

R said...

tim, you put a smile on my face too with the lottery ticket. :)

Ray said...

you're kind leh!
I bet that old lady will have good dreams tonight since a "leng chai" so kind to went back and buy a ticket from her!

Boss Stewie said...

robb: that's great to know robb :)

ray: hahahah well.. that smile alone made it all worth it anyway

[fong88] said...

u shud buy all the lottery tic from the old lady so she can go back earlier=P

tpeng said...

Oh, this reminds me yesterday there was this small little girl who played the violin on the streets and ppl give her coins for playing and being so talented..and instead of keeping the money for herself, she gave her coins to a homeless guy on the street...

Makes ya think huh...

JD said...

As long as we can and afford to help, each one could do a bit.

Cindy Khor said...

yup, i absolutely agree.. sometimes an insignificant amount of money or gesture could really change a life of someone, therefore, lending others a helping hand is always a long taught virture in the society.

anne_jo520 said...

It's really a sweet gesture! To the old lady, maybe she can buy a meal for the money you pay whereas to Robb, he might get a few million bcos of youuuuu~ hehehe

But I am always glad to learn that people like you still exist in this world. It makes this world a tad lovelier I think =)

Magnolia said...

a nice gesture certainly go a long way especially for that old lady. i am sure you made her day ! :)

jess~ said...

awwwwwwwwwwwww.... u sooooooooo cute laaaaaa.... sooooooooooooo kind hearted!!!!! :D

cHuey said...

although I hate the idea of gambling, first time I saw from a different perspective, how a lottery ticket can put a big smile on two person's face at the same time, and definitely in a good way.
I guess its the intention of heart that matters, kudos!

Boss Stewie said...

fong88: hahaha then it would be a rather expensive smile :)

tpeng: wow ... that is admirable! I wish I could've witnessed that

jd: yeah... I agree!

cindy: yeah that's true

anne: hahahaha well unfortunately Robb hasn't won anything with the lottery ticket yet

magnolia: hahaha I hope I did. for all you know, someone else could've came along and bought 10 tickets from her hehe

jess; hehe thank you :P

chuey: haha yeah I know what you mean

mela said...

I've been lurking around your blog for a while now.

This entry really made me smile. Thank you.

Dennis Lim said...

So kind of you...

- m i c h e l l e - said...

That's so nice of you to turn back around and buy the lottery ticket! Yayyy for Boss Stewie! :D

Boss Stewie said...

mela: eheheheh that's nice to know... that I made another person smile :)

dennis: hehehe well it only took a few ringgit

michelle: hehehe yeah.. it was worth it though

RealGunners said...

for a while, i thought i was reading the misadventures of boss stewie becoming a lottery millionaire =.=

Tim-Kimokeo Voon said...

getting some luck from it is kinda hard to comeby...

but my uncle won himself 100k few months back.

and thats alot of money from a RM3 ticket...