Sunday, May 18, 2008

Determination *sigh*

If you ask some of my closest friends about me (like Hasan in the picture below), one of the things among the other good and bad things they'll tell you is that I'm a very very determined person and if there's anything that I've grown confident about... it's in my determination.The history of this goes all the way back even to when I was in high school. I wasn't a very good student all the way up to Form 1... mainly because I hated studying. By the time I got into Form 2, I had began to realize how stupid I am and started trying to be the model student.

That means I didn't just start studying hard, I started taking up all sorts of activities and being the top in them. By the time I finished school, I had been the top of the form (well only once, most of the time I ended up somewhere in Top 5), was the Head of the Debate Department in the English Language Society in school (one of the biggest and most powerful societies back then), and Captain of the school and zone table tennis team.

I carried forward that same kind of determination when Nuffnang came about. When we first started off, we didn't have the huge clients we have today. Far from that in fact... but I was determined to grow the network's ad spend. That means taking every deal I could get.

The smallest deal I had EVER taken in my history of Nuffnang was a RM100 campaign. That's right.. RM100 for some online store. Today of course Nuffnang has a minimum ad spend that goes into the thousands but that was another time altogether.

Being determined has got to be the one thing in life that everyone can be if he/she wants to be. I didn't always use to be like that though, there was a time in my life where I gave up very very easily on things I wanted badly but didn't want to fight for.

But that all changed one day when I decided never to give up on something I really really wanted and never to let anything or anyone get in your way. It's very simple to do since you choose whether to give up or not.

You have control over that. Sometimes you don't have control of the results for the work you put in but you always have control on whether you want to keep trying or not.


Keep trying and you'll eventually get what you want. At least... that's what I thought... until today.

A few days ago I was talking to KY about going for an 8 Course Dinner at JW Marriot and to watch the premier of Made of Honor.Hong Leong was nice enough to give out 80 seats for Nuffnangers to attend which is not too many to go around, so in order to narrow it down we decided to get everyone to play this fishing game on their website.

KY had just played it and we were talking on MSN when we had this conversation.
In my defence, I was thinking to myself that hey.. it's just some fishy game right? All we have to do is just play it over and over again until you get a high score.

Well I've been playing it for 3 days now.... and the highest score I got is this.
*SIGH*

I don't have the determination to play any more... :(

KY, I give up.

You win. I owe you a plate of Char Kueh Teow.

You bastard!

If you guys think you can do better than me. Click here.

20 comments:

michelleho said...

Oh well, the competitive world we live in today...

Christine said...

Haha.. Good post.. and I won u in the fishing game de lah.. Haha.. :)

Genova said...

hey where's the spirit?...
u can do better than that.

Boss Stewie said...

michelle: sniff

christine: yeah.. so did everyone else :(

genova: i can't!!! i've caught so many damn fish repeatedly but yet my score is so damn low i don't understand! is there a secret weapon of a vast net you can cast or somethign that I don't know about?

KY said...

Hehehhe, even girls beat you already, HOW HOW HOW?

But you can blame it on the mac lah. :P

Boss Stewie said...

ky: yah i blame it on the mac!

Peter said...

boss.. u r from SXI as well eh?? oo senior

David Cheong said...

HAHAHHAHAA I GOT 13K LOL!!!!!!!!

meow said...

(-.-)
i thought what u were trying to tell... determination, tim! DETERMINATION!!!

Amiene Rev said...

World is really a competition. We can only choose either determine or detergen.

R said...

detergen please~ XD

Anonymous said...

hey tim. catching the movie in a theater in kuching instead. hope the event goes well. the whole idea itself sounds surreal. the person who came up with it must be heavily applauded. cheers.

Sarah said...

the game was cute. =D
not easy, only 90sec
only 7650 on the first try. =(

nicole said...

that's MSN? the interface looks cool...

.:Baby Gin:. said...

RAZOR MOUSE XD = 15k+++

Terrence Cheang said...

that's macintosh's msn .

ShaolinTiger said...

Haha, my best 14,100 so far - can't seem to top that.

beetrice said...

aiyo....keep trying lahhh...hehe...mine was 12,600 after nearly a week of trying (my first count lagi teruk than yours!)

ahlost said...

My highest score was 8500.. buahahaha.. I win you..

chuafc2006 said...

oh...i got 9000 score Lol...blame it on the Gigabyte mouse 2000dpi!