Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Gap Shopping Spree

Early last week, I got something from the nice people at Gap. They gave me RM1,000 worth of cash vouchers and asked me to do them an advertorial at one of their stores.

I jumped at the opportunity of course.

Me and Gap go a long way back. I first started buying Gap while I was studying in London. They had a flagship store on Oxford Street that I used to get a lot of my clothes from. Even the jacket I wore in the first year was from Gap.

So last weekend I made it to the closest Gap store to my home. The one at Pavilion.

Princess, who also doubles as my fashion consultant came along with me. I’m not allowed to shop for clothes without her for fear that I might end up buying jumpers and looking like a hillbilly.

I remember the first time she came into my room. She headed straight for my closet and then she went through everything, putting together a small pile of clothes. Then she pointed at the pile and said “This… is what you are allowed to wear from now on. If I see you wear anything else….”.

That is how she officially became my fashion consultant.

Anyway, I had never been to the Gap store in Pavilion before.

It’s pretty big!


And with clothes everywhere.
Having RM1,000 to spend in a store filled with clothes is like the shopaholic’s wet dream. I was spoilt for choice but I made a dash first for their new 1969 Premium Jeans'.

Heck I wear jeans every day. I wear it on weekdays to work and on weekends to wherever I go. It’s like the most versatile form of pants. You can wear it for anything and you don’t have to worry if you spilt anything on it. They’re hardy, comfortable and they work for everything.

To satisfy my jeans appetite at Gap, I tried on jeans after jeans….

There was straight cut, standard, loose and a lot more but soon enough I had found a winner. Or more like two winners.

The “Standard” and

the “Authentic” cut which had only just been launched.

They were really nice. I mean they were really comfortable, fit well and I really liked the cutting of them both. The length of the Standard cut was a little too long for me though, so I got the really helpful staff at Gap to help me alter it.

After I had gotten my hands on 2 pairs of jeans, I attacked the shirt department.

Check out a couple of the shirts I bought.

Princess said she liked shirts with white collars so I also got this.

Heck it’s like I have a whole list of things that Princess likes and does not like to see me wear. I know she likes shirts and t-shirts but she doesn’t like collared-t’s. She also does not like (or more like hate) any shirts with stripes on them. It took me a long time to learn all that.

Both the shirts though were stamped with Princess’ approval.

She said they were really nice and she also particularly liked this shirt.

Went well with my new Gap jeans.

Then I got a bit more ambitious and decided to try on a Gap hoodie.


When I put on the hood and pulled the strings to tighten it, I ended up looking like this.

Princess thought it was funny so she took a picture.

After what was like… 45 minutes in the store. I settled on what I’ve decided to spend the RM1,000 on.

Went to the counter and it turned out to cost more than the RM1,000 of vouchers I was given.

I had to make a choice…. Take out something from Gap pile or…. pay the extra in cash.

I decided that… you just can’t let nice clothes go to waste. So I ended up paying close to a hundred bucks more. It was totally worth it though. Got some really really really nice clothes then. It’s true. I’ve started thinking like a Shopaholic. I blame Princess!!!!

After we were done shopping, Princess and I went downstairs to look for the person who made this little fun shopping experience possible. We found her in this big Gap truck parked outside for anyone to go in and try on the new 1969 Premium Jeans.


The nice lady’s name is Jeanine.

They were having a little contest in the truck where they put up pictures of people holding up a white board to say what they were “Born to be”.

Gap jeans are born to fit… but we had a lot of people with different things altogether.

Princess liked this one though.


I think she could relate :)

Princess and I had an idea. We decided to write the white board for each other. So on her white board I wrote (with my poor handwriting and my pathetic attempt at drawing a heart)…

And on mine she wrote.

I got Jeanine to do one too. Wrote this on her board.

And yes if you’re wondering why the hand-writing on Jeanine’s white-board is so much nicer. It’s because it was written by Princess. Even the small little t-shirt on it was drawn by Princess.

Before we left the truck, they gave us some souvenirs including the pictures we had just taken a few minutes ago.

I thought it was really thoughtful.

We left the truck then to go back to the store and pick up my altered jeans but not before I took this last picture with Jeanine and Claire from Gap.

By the time I got back to the store to collect my jeans, they were all ready.
They fit perfectly.

Thank you Gap… for the wonderful shopping experience. And for some really really nice jeans :)

If you're a fan of Gap, you can join their Facebook group here. I'm already a fan!

24 comments:

Melanie said...

Wahhhhh, been reading your blog for years now. Gotta say this is the 1st time you actually had a whole post dedicated to clothes!! Hahahahah, you look good in all of them tho. Particularly the one princess liked! :P

KY said...

ok then do u have a list of cloths u like or u don't like? :P

Boss Stewie said...

melanie: hehehe thank you. i see you have similar taste to princess

ky: hahaha yes i do. glossy purple shirts are in that list :)

Kristine said...

wow, RM1000 bucks voucher. lucky! :D

Wilson Ng said...

1k for GAP shopping vouchers... priceless..

Vy said...

So Boss, are you a convert to being a Shopaholic??? lol

Vy said...

Btw, I saw the Gap truck on my way to work this morning...Not one but two!

Eve said...

would do alot of things for RM1k shopping voucher at Gap T__T

nice choice of clothes and i agree and collared t's are a no-no. Looks very "lam nua" (hokkien)

TianChad田七摄影 said...

When will Nuffnang giving out Gap Cash Voucher? ;p
It is tempting me ar

Boss Stewie said...

shinwei: hehe yes i'm really lucky

wilson: yes it is.. .priceless indeed

vy: yes ! that's all thanks to princess' influence. but yeah there are two trucks :) they're going all over Klang Valley this week

eve: hhehe yeah i would do a lot for that too :)

tian: hahaha that really depends on Gap :)

messi said...

boss,

did aud meant u have to be a gazillionbillionaire then only can marry her?

but but..thats like very very impossible.

nice clothesS!

ling ling said...

wow!!! 1K for clothes shopping, wish i can have that luck too...
*daydreaming a full wardrobe of new clothes* >.<

anyway, u look cute in that white hoodie with the hood on....hahahaha...

synical said...

I ♥ Gap!

RM1000 goes a long way in a Gap store.

Speaking of Gap, I'm reminded of this joke by comedian Demetri Martin:

“I’m going to open a store called ‘The Chasm’, we’re going to be just like ‘The Gap’, but way bigger”

Glittersmoke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Glittersmoke said...

Hi from Nuffnang PH! :D :D

Woah! That's 13,000 PHP worth of shopping money. Lucky! I'd go bazonkers! I gotta agree with Princess. The grey half-way button down shirt looked good. Looks like you had a totally awesome time. yay for Gap shopping sprees! :)

~Elaine Tam~ said...

Wah~ So good...Can I have it too~ T____T Tm500 enough for me liao~

Boss stewie, you are veliiiii gud right...right right...heehhehe~

Huai Bin said...

Gap shopping spree! I need to build up my rather limited wardrobe too. I like the (checkered? flannel?) shirt in the last pic. It looks very versatile - both for work and leisure. Heh!

Boss Stewie said...

messi: hahaha yeah.. that's pretty difficult. maybe she says that cuz she doesn't want to marry me :)

ling: hehe thank u ! i like hoodies

synical: hahaha funny !! good joke good joke!

patty: yay thank u. i loved that shirt too! brought it all the way to melbourne with me will have its debut soon

elaine: hahahaa hey.. i'm not the one giving out the vouchers

huai bin: yes it's really nice :) princess likes

Porcupine said...

Why Boss, Why???!!!!
Now my girl wan me to bring here there edi... (T_T)
Wallet confirm dry edi la this time...
Any chance I can get my damage lessened by Nuffnang?

Ken Wooi said...

wow this is certainly a longgg entry.. definitely worth 1k huh? haha.. it's fun to spend freely with cash vouchers! =)

kenwooi.com

Jiyan said...

walaoo so lucky suddenly get 1k vouchers..nice jeans though..try skinnies? XD!

tvbtorrent said...

so nice. have 1k voucher to shop ... gap.. send me some too.

YiLiing said...

Hey boss i sent u an email earlier asking where did u get tht ET tee shirt. got your relpy but somehow there are no words in it!
Opps sorry to bug u again but where can i get it??!

THanks lots

jean9 said...

The jeans do look great on ya Tim :) Hey guys ..join gap malaysia as a fan on facebook, and you might just get lucky & win some shopping vouchers or special offers! *hint hint* :)