Sunday, August 06, 2006

The Entrepreneur's Pass

The dotcom company that Ming and I have been working on will cover the Singaporean internet market (though we have an office here in Penang to develop our product).

So naturally we planned to incorporate a Pte Ltd company in Singapore but before we could do that, I had to apply for an Entrepass (Entrepreneur's Pass) which kinda acts like a work permit for me to be in Singapore to work on the business.

The Entrepass application is not like the standard application form you would imagine.

It had to include our business plan, my entire background, work experience and even the academic grades I achieved at university.


I was a little worried that my application may not go through since I would guess that I was among the youngest and the least experienced to apply.

Sure, I may have worked briefly for some foreign investment banks and I may have done a little internet venture that received modest media attention but that's nothing compared to what an outstanding entrepreneur 10 years my senior would have strapped under his belt (someone like Irfan Khari).
Not to mention, the application included our business plan and needless to say, a rejection could also mean 3 things

1) Our business plan was not good enough (We didn't do enough homework).


2) Our business idea sucked.

or


3) The government didn't believe that Ming and I were good enough to pull it off.


We've been waiting for weeks for the answer.

This morning Ming called me up from Singapore.

"I have bad news... your Entrepass application was rejected".

Ming and I have always tried to remind each other to work under the assumption that NOTHING EVER GOES AS PLANNED.


We had previously briefly discussed a backup plan should my application be discussed but right at that moment, the only words I could utter was

"So how...?"

Ming was quick to answer.

"So HOW?!? It was approved lar!!! That means we'll be incorporating the Singaporean company soon... WOOHOO!!!"


It occured to me at that point in time to say to Ming
"Leh mah don't go and play this prank on me lar c*bai"

But I was so relieved I couldn't get myself to scold Ming.

So there you have it everyone.

Our first little victory after all this time.

This was the first time in this business that something once went as planned.


So thank you Singapore.
Thank you for giving Ming and I a chance to prove our worth.

21 comments:

Jason Lioh said...

Hehe. Congrats. Another step.

So, when you are driving to Singapore, don't forget to make a pit stop at Melaka so that I can chia you bah kut teh. A dinner before you continue with your journey no harm rite? :D

Boss Stewie said...

ahhh ahhh.. so far i've never tried driving to singapore.. but if i do.. ok i shall stop at melaka

Anonymous said...

Yay! Well done tim!! So great to hear things are going well. I'll go Four Seasons get some duck to celebrate on your behalf!! :)

Boss Stewie said...

please tarpau and fedex one back to me bunny
thanks

stefkhaw said...

dear tiam,

best of luck with your new business venture and congratulations on the new blog.
your profanities will be sorely missed hehe ;)

stef.

Anonymous said...

ahahaha congrats! good luck sweeping singapore

Boss Stewie said...

stef: ahh.. yes.. i am such a good 'boy' now

anonymous: thanks very much... sweep i shall :P

Anonymous said...

hehehe....ming,u were really crack a joke on tim.
my stewie,congrats!!!

Anonymous said...

hey ewe tiam, it's great to know that things are going well on your side!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Tim! Surely more excitements and late night sleeps to come! But it's all good, isn't?

Anonymous said...

wow... Congrats !!!

WMD: Wife, Mother, Daughter said...

Congrats! Another door opens.

Boss Stewie said...

thanks baby :P

jazzy: hope citigroup is treating u well too

meekie: yes.. many many sleepless nights ahead. i'd better enjoy this while i can

cely: thanks cely :P

wmd: ah yes.. very well put

Anonymous said...

you should try taking a bus from pg to SG.
ah...next time i see you i'll call u BOSS

Boss Stewie said...

bus from pg to kl... wah cannot lor.. too many hours.. must stop in kl first

Anonymous said...

hey, congrats man.... hope u'd do well over there as well

Daphne Maia said...

heh. congrats! so i guess we'll b seeing u here sometime soon huh! =) if u ever have an office in singapore, i'm still jobless. HAHAH!

Boss Stewie said...

thanks lufia

daphne:i highly doubt i'll be able to afford to pay u the salary that you command in the market :P

Anonymous said...

Congrats, whee! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi! Happened to chance upon yr blog which I must say it's really quite easy reading and interesting. Coincidentally, Ive trying to my foreigner friend from Austria to apply the entrepass.

Ive a question, how detailed must the business proposal be? I mean we have biz ideas, but when it comes to market analysis, knowing who our competitors are, and financial projections, we are quite clueless. We are even thinking to pay profesional to do our business proposal, but im just wondering whether this is even necessary. Greatly appreciate if you can provide some advice!

If you do msn, pls add me tobelievein@hotmail.com . Thanks!

Thanks,
Mindy

Unknown said...

Am awaiting result on an EntrePass too.. Am nervous and have had all the same thoughts you posted..